March 6, 2012
DELAND, Fla. - The Michigan State women's tennis team wrapped up their Florida trip with a 5-2 loss against Stetson at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon. The Spartans picked up a doubles and two singles victories from Marina Bohrer on court two and Dana Guentert on court six.
The Spartans were down early in the matchup as they were unable to pick up the doubles point, falling in two out of the tree matchups.
Doubles court three finished first, after Guentert and Hilary Hager retired in their match against Lindsey Cable and Shannon Gunning. At the time of retirement the Spartan pair was down 5-3.
Despite falling behind 5-1 early on court one, Nicole Herzog and Katarina Lingl pushed their way back to tie things up at five apiece but couldn't manage to hold on dropping 8-6 to Stetson's Sara Lazarevic and Clarke Tatje.
Michaela Silesova and Bohrer rounded things out for doubles action on court two picking up the lone Spartan duo victory. The pair pulled out to an early lead and held on to defeat Jen Miller and Diana Bukajeva, 8-5.
The Spartans tried to rebound in singles action following a quick win by Bohrer on court two. The sophomore posted an easy 6-3, 6-2 victory over the Hatters' Tatje. But MSU was unable to build momentum from the first singles point, dropping the next two matchups. On court three, Silesova fell to Gunning, 6-3, 6-3 and court four saw Lingl take a tough 6-4, 6-1 loss to Bukajeva.
Guentert improved to 2-1 in singles action after a decisive 7-6, 6-0 win over SU's Miller on court six.
In the No. 5 spot, Julianne Gruber saw her 6-2 individual record falter, dropping her match to Cable 6-3, 6-4.
Court one proved to be the toughest matchup of the day with Olga Chernova taking on Stetson's top performer, Lazarevic. Chernova fell behind early in the first set and couldn't quite get over the hump dropping it 6-4. However, the junior came out with fire in the second, pushing it all the way to a tiebreaker before falling 7-6.
The Spartans will now take a week-and-a-half hiatus before returning to action on Saturday, March 17th when they host Ball State at home at 3 p.m.
1. Sara Lazarevic/Clarke Tatje (SU) def. Nicole Herzog/Katarina Lingl (MSU) 8-6
2. Michaela Silesova/Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Jen Miller/Diana Bukajeva (SU) 8-5
3. Lindsey Cable/Shannon Gunning (SU) def. Dana Guentert/Hilary Hager (MSU) 5-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Sara Lazarevic (SU) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-4, 7-6
2. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Clarke Tatje (SU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Shannon Gunning (SU def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Diana Bukajeva (SU) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Lindsey Cable (SU) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Jen Miller (SU) 7-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 1