Women's Tennis Dropped by No. 13 Michigan, 6-1
Spartans lose Big Ten opener.
March 16, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State women's tennis team opened Big Ten play Sunday afternoon with a 6-1 loss to Michigan. The 13th-ranked Wolverines were too much for the Spartans inside the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. MSU drops to 12-3 on the season and 0-1 in conference play.
MSU lost the doubles point, marking just the third time all season MSU lost the initial point. MSU is 1-2 when losing the doubles point.
The lone point for the Spartans on the day came from senior Olga Chernova. Chernova defeated Amy Zhu on court five, 6-3, 6-1. With the win, Chernova picked up her team-high 13th win of the spring dual season. She is 13-2 for the season, including 5-0 on court four and 6-1 on court five.
MSU continues conference action next weekend as it hosts Penn State March 21 and travels to Ohio State on March 23.
1) #18 Bektas/Bolender (U-M) def. Bohrer/Faulkner (MSU) 8-1
2) #75 Lee/Zhu (U-M) vs. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) 5-4, uf
3) Ucros/Yurovsky (U-M) def. Parenteau/Trouillot (MSU) 8-5
1) #7 Bektas (U-M) def. Bohrer (MSU) 7-6 (2), 6-3
2) #20 Yurovsky (U-M) def. Faulkner (MSU) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0(4)
3) #103 Lee (U-M) def. Parenteau (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
4) #98 Bolender (U-M) def. Meyers (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
5) Chernova (MSU) def. Zhu (U-M) 6-3, 6-1
6) Dodge (U-M) def. Trouillot (MSU) 6-3, 6-1