March 23, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Michigan State women's tennis team dropped its first Big Ten road match of the season on Sunday afternoon. The Spartans (13-4, 1-2 Big Ten) fell by a final of 5-2 at the hands of No. 51 Ohio State inside the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. MSU finished its Big Ten weekend with a 1-1 record after sweeping Penn State Friday afternoon.
Opening the match in doubles, MSU lost the doubles point for just the fourth time all season. The Spartans are 1-3 on the season when dropping the initial point. MSU was ousted on courts one and two, but did pick up a win on court three from freshman Athena Trouillot and junior Catherine Parenteau. Trouillot and Parenteau defeated Kelsey Becker and Sandy Niehaus, 8-4.
In singles, MSU was able to claim two of the six matches. Both wins came from two freshmen in the starting lineup. Freshman Erin Faulkner grabbed a straight-set win on court two over Miho Kowase 6-3, 6-3. The win for Faulkner ups her spring season dual record to 11-4 and her overall record for 2013-14 to 15-7. Her 15 wins are tied for seventh all-time in school history for most wins through one season.
Freshman Athena Trouillot won her three-set match over Grainne O'Neill on court six, 7-5, 0-6, 6-3. Trouillot improved her spring season dual record to 13-3 and her overall record for 2013-14 to 20-5. Trouillot's 20 wins are third most all-time in school history for most wins through one season.
MSU continues Big Ten play next weekend as it stays on the road for a pair of matches. MSU travels to Nebraska on March 28 and will face No. 65 Iowa on March 30.
1) Malley/O'Neill (OSU) def. Bohrer/Faulkner (MSU) 8-5
2) Kowase/De Santis (OSU) def. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) 8-2
3) Parenteau/Trouillot (MSU) def. Becker/Niehaus (OSU) 8-4
1) De Santis (OSU) def. Bohrer (MSU) 7-5, 6-4
2) Faulkner (MSU) def. Kowase (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
3) Niehaus (OSU) def. Parenteau (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
4) Flower (OSU) def. Meyers (MSU) 7-6(4), 4-6, 1-0(12-10)
5) Malley (OSU) def. Chernova (MSU) 6-3, 6-0
6) Trouillot (MSU) def. O'Neill (OSU) 7-5, 0-6, 6-3