Women's Tennis Falls to Purdue
PUR 6, MSU 1
April 1, 2012
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Michigan State women's tennis team (8-8, 0-5 Big Ten) was dropped by a score of 6-1 by No. 33 Purdue. Sophomore Marina Bohrer captured the lone singles victory for the Spartans at the No. 2 position, defeating Lynda Xepoleas 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9). Bohrer is now 2-0 when she plays on court two.
On court one, sophomore Olga Chernova suffered a 6-1, 6-1 loss to Jennifer Rabot. Junior Michalea Silesova was defeated by Mara Schmidt, 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 3 position. Sophomore Katarina Lingl fell to here opponent, Daniela Vidal by a score of 6-2, 6-2 on court four. Redshirt junior Dana Guentert's six-match winning streak was snapped by Gisella Pere. Pere topped Guentert 6-3, 6-0 on court five. After winning the first set 6-2, freshman Juliann Gruber lost the following two 6-2, 7-5 to Imogen Golder at the No. 6 position.
The Spartans failed to win a doubles match against Purdue. Rabot and Schmidt dropped the duo of junior Nicole Herzog and Silesova, 8-2. Bohrer and Guentert lost their first doubles match as partners 8-4 to Vidal and Xepoleas on court two. At the No. 3 position, Lingl and Gruber were edged by Golder and Pere, 806.
The Spartans continue conference play next weekend when they host Northwestern and Illinois.
#33 Purdue 6, Michigan State 1
1. Jennifer Rabot (PUR-W) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR-W) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9)
3. Mara Schmidt (PUR-W) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Daniela Vidal (PUR-W) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Gisella Pere (PUR-W) def. Dana Guentert (MSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Imogen Golder (PUR-W) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
1. Jennifer Rabot/Mara Schmidt (PUR-W) def. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-2
2. Daniela Vidal/Lynda Xepoleas (PUR-W) def. Marina Bohrer/Dana Guentert (MSU) 8-4
3. Imogen Golder/Gisella Pere (PUR-W) def. Katarina Lingl/Julianne Gruber (MSU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,4,3,2,6)