April 6, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Coming off its first ranked win of the season on Saturday, the Michigan State women's tennis team fell short in their attempt to pick up two ranked conference wins this weekend. The Spartans (16-5, 4-3 Big Ten) were defeated, 6-1, at the hands of No. 11 Northwestern at the MSU Outdoor Tennis Courts Sunday afternoon.
Today was the first home match outside for the Spartans. The loss snaps MSU's three-match conference win streak.
MSU lost the doubles point for only the sixth time in 21 matches this season, losing on courts two and three. Senior Marina Bohrer and freshman Erin Faulkner earned a ranked win on court one, defeating the 21st-ranked doubles tandem in the nation, Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett, in a tiebreaker, 8-7(4).
In singles, MSU was able to win one of the six matches. Bohrer picked up her second ranked win of the day as she defeated No. 44 Veronica Corning in three sets on court one, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. Bohrer finished the weekend a combined 4-0 in singles and doubles with her wins over Illinois on Saturday and Northwestern on Sunday. She improved her overall spring singles record to 16-4 and is 4-3 in the Big Ten.
MSU hits the courts next weekend as it hosts Wisconsin on April 12 and No. 55 Minnesota on April 13.
1) Bohrer/Faulkner (MSU) def. #21 Corning/Barnett (NU) 8-7(4)
2) #72 Lipp/Hamilton (NU) def. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) 8-4
3) Rischbieth/Niu (NU) def. Parenteau/Trouillot (MSU) 8-3
1) Bohrer (MSU) def. #44 Corning (NU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
2) #36 Niu (NU) def. Faulkner (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
3) Barnett (NU) def. Meyers (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
4) Peri (NU) def. Chernova (MSU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0(10-3)
5) Rooney (NU) def. Trouillot (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
6) Lipp (NU) def. Gruber (MSU) 6-1, 6-1