Women's Tennis Falls Short to Iowa
IOWA 5, MSU 2
April 13, 2012
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Michigan State women's tennis team (8-11, 0-8 Big Ten) was topped by Iowa, 5-2. Despite the loss, two Spartans, redshirt junior Dana Guentert and sophomore Marina Bohrer, each tallied a singles win. While losing the overall doubles point the duo of freshman Julianne Gruber and sophomore Katarina Lingl recorded a doubles win.
The Spartans recorded one doubles victory at the No. 3 spot, but fell in the other two matches. On court three, Gruber and doubles partner Lingl, dropped opponents, Ally Majercik and Katie Zordani, 8-5. Sophomore Marina Bohrer and redshirt junior Dana Guentert then suffered an 8-4 loss to Christina Harazin and Ellen Silver on court two. In the deciding match, sophomore Nicole Herzog and junior Michaela Silesova fell to Sonja Molnar and Morven McCulloch, 8-5, giving the Hawkeyes a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
In singles play, No. 103 Molnar defeated sophomore Olga Chernova, 6-1, 6-0. On court three, Silesova was dropped in two sets by McCulloch, 6-4, 6-3. Bohrer tallied a point for the Spartans with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Talcott at the No. 2 spot.
On court six, Gruber was edged 7-5 in the first set by her opponent, Harazin. She then lost the second set by a score of 6-1. Lingl suffered a 6-3, 6-3 defeat on court four to Zordani. Guentert collected her eight singles victory after topping Silver, 7-6, 4-3, at the No. 5 spot.
The Spartans are back in action on Sunday when they travel to face Nebraska at noon.
Iowa Hawkeyes 5, Michigan State Spartans 2
1. #103 Sonja Molnar (IOWA-W) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA-W) 6-4, 6-3
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA-W) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Katie Zordani (IOWA-W) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA-W) 7-6 (3) , 3-4 (Ret.)
6. Christina Harazin (IOWA-W) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Sonja Molnar/Morven McCulloch (IOWA-W) def. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-5
2. Christina Harazin/Ellen Silver (IOWA-W) def. Marina Bohrer/Dana Guentert (MSU) 8-4
3. Julianne Gruber/Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Ally Majercik/Katie Zordani (IOWA-W) 8-5
Michigan State Spartans 8-11, 0-8
Iowa Hawkeyes 8-11, 2-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,2,6,4,5)