Women's Tennis Falls To Penn State, 5-2
Pascale Schnitzer and Stephanie Kebler earn Spartan wins.
April 14, 2007
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Michigan State women's tennis team fell to Penn State on Saturday, 5-2. Senior Pascale Schnitzer and sophomore Stephanie Kebler posted Spartan victories at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, respectively. With the loss, MSU falls to 11-9 (1-6 Big Ten) while Penn State advanced its record to 9-10 (3-5 Big Ten).
Michigan State came out flat in doubles, as Sarah Andrews and Jessica Baron were defeated for only the second time this season, as Lauren Holzberg and Lauren McCarthy came up with the win at No. 2, 8-3.
At No. 1, Christine Bader and Kebler were bounced by Sasha Abraham and Jenny Shular, 8-6, to secure the doubles point and a 1-0 lead for Penn State. The Nittany Lions' Dorothy Dohanics and Andreea Niculescu, defeated Marianne Eelens and Schnitzer at No. 3, 8-3.
In singles, the Spartans came out with an early win to even up the score at 1-1 as Kebler earned a 6-1, 6-2 win over Holzberg at No. 3. Shular gave the lead back to the Nittany Lions with a win at No. 4 over Andrews (6-1, 6-4), but Michigan State got back to even, as Schnitzer defeated Abraham in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 2.
Penn State came up with the next three singles matches to earn the victory. Dohanics topped Baron in a pair of 6-3 sets at No. 5, while Niculescu won a 7-5, 6-4 contest over Bader at No. 1 to secure the win in Penn State's favor. McCarthy added the final victory for the Nittany Lions, defeating Eelens in a hard-fought three-set match (7-5, 5-7, 10-5).
Michigan State will be back on the courts tomorrow, as the Spartans are set to play in-state rival Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mich., at 1 p.m. at the University of Michigan Varsity Tennis Courts.
Penn State 5, Michigan State 2
1. Andreea Niculescu (PSU) def. Christine Bader (MSU) (7-5, 6-4)
2. Pascale Schnitzer (MSU) defeated Sasha Abraham (PSU) (6-1, 6-0)
3. Stephanie Kebler (MSU) def. Lauren Holzberg (PSU) (6-1, 6-2)
4. Jenny Shular (PSU) def. Sarah Andrews (MSU) (6-1, 6-4)
5. Dorothy Dohanics (PSU) def. Jessica Baron (MSU) (6-3, 6-3)
6. Lauren McCarthy (PSU) def. Marianne Eelens (MSU) (7-5, 5-7, 10-5)
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 5, 1*, 6
1. Abraham/Shular (PSU) def. Bader/Kebler (MSU) (8-6)
2. Holzberg/McCarthy (PSU) def. Andrews/Baron (MSU) (8-3)
3. Dohanics/Niculescu (PSU) def. Eelens/Schnitzer (MSU) (8-3)
Order of Finish: 2, 1,* 3