Women's Tennis Drops Match to Nebraska
NEB 6, MSU 1
April 15, 2012
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Michigan State women's tennis team (8-12, 0-9 Big Ten) suffered a 6-1 loss at No. 17 Nebraska. Sophomore Marina Bohrer secured the Spartans' lone point on court two. Bohrer fell to No. 110 Patricia Veresova, 6-1 in the first set but bounced back to win the second, 6-3. Veresova then retired, giving Bohrer her second straight victory.
The Spartans fell in all three doubles matches to the Huskers. No. 44 Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein dropped the duo of juniors Nicole Herzog and Michaela Silesova, 8-2. At the No. 2 spot, Bohrer and redshirt junior Dana Guentert were edged by Veresova and Weatherhold, 8-6. Sophomore Katarina Lingl and freshman Julianne Guber fell in their match to Janine Weinreich and Izabella Zgierska, 8-4, on court three.
In singles play, Geibert dropped Silesova in two sets, 6-0, 6-4, on court two. Sophomore Olga Chernova suffered a 6-3, 6-0 loss to No. 43 Weatherholt at the No. 1 position. Guentert faced off against Weinreich at the No. 5 spot, but came up short, falling, 6-3, 6-2.
On court four, Lingl gave a good effort against Weinstein but eventually fell, 6-3, 6-3. In her match against Zgierska, Gruber fell in the first set 6-3. Gruber bounced back to win the second 6-2 befrore suffering a 10-5 loss in the tiebreaker.
The Spartans are back on the road next weekend, traveling to Ohio State on Friday.
Nebraska 6, Michigan State 1
1. Mary Weatherholt (NEB) def. Olga Chernova (MSUW) 6-3, 6-0
2. Marina Bohrer (MSUW) def. Patricia Veresova (NEB) 1-6, 6-3, retired
3. Madeleine Geibert (NEB) def. Michaela Silesova (MSUW) 6-0, 6-4
4. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. Katarina Lingl (MSUW) 6-3, 6-3
5. Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Dana Guentert (MSUW) 6-3, 6-2
6. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Julianna Gruber (MSUW) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
1. Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSUW) 8-2
2. Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Marina Bohrer/Dana Guentert (MSUW) 8-6
3. Janine Weinreich/Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Katarina Lingl/Julianna Gruber (MSUW) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,5,4,2,6)