Women's Tennis Drops Match to No. 48 Purdue
Michaela Silesova and Elena Ivanova earn the lone win at No. 2 doubles.
April 18, 2010
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Michigan State women's tennis team fell, 7-0, to No. 48 Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind. on Sunday, April 18, leaving MSU at an overall record of 7-14.
The No. 2 doubles pairing of freshman Michaela Silesova (Topolcany, Slavakia) and sophomore Elena Ivanova (Moscow, Russia) posted the lone win for the Green and White over Anna Dushkina and Gisella Pere, 9-8 (7-5). Although Purdue picked up the other two doubles matches, the No. 3 doubles tandem of senior Christine Milliken (Traverse City, Mich.) and junior Manon Noe (Liancourt, France) fought hard, forcing Imogen Golder and Bhavani Tirumurti into a tie-breaker that ended in Purdue's favor, 9-8 (8-6).
Three Spartans also forced their Purdue opponents into three-set matches in singles action. Whitney Wilson earned a win the first set over Tirumurti, but lost, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3. Ivanova battled Dushkina at the No. 4 spot, but ultimately fell, 6-3, 3-6, 6-0. Freshman Amy Barton (Brisbane, Australia) took Golder into three sets after a strong start, but the match ended in Golder's favor, 4-6, 6-2, 10-7.
Michigan State returns home to host the last two matches of the 2010 season against Indiana on Saturday, April 24 at 11 a.m. and then against Illinois on Sunday, April 25 at 11 a.m. as well. Weather permitting, the matches will be played at the MSU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
1. Michelle Sammons (PUR) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #111 Jennifer Rabot (PUR) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Bhavani Tirumurti (PUR) def. Whitney Wilson (MSU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Anna Dushkina (PUR) def. Elena Ivanova (MSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Amy Barton (MSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Renata de Paiva (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Michelle Sammons/Jennifer Rabot (PUR) def. Nicole Herzog/Whitney Wilson (MSU) 8-6
2. Michaela Silesova/Elena Ivanova (MSU) def. Anna Dushkina/Gisella Pere (PUR) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Imogen Golder/Bhavani Tirumurti (PUR) def. Christine Milliken/Manon Noe (MSU) 9-8 (8-6)