April 19, 2014
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The No. 67 Michigan State women's tennis team dropped its second consecutive Big Ten match Saturday afternoon in West Lafatyette, Ind., losing 5-2 to No. 42 Purdue at the Schwartz Tennis Center. The Spartans fall to 17-7 on the season and 5-5 in conference play.
MSU fell behind 3-0 early in the match and appeared to have a chance at a rally, but ultimately came up short.
Purdue took the doubles point from MSU, marking only the seventh time all season MSU has not won the initial point. MSU is 2-5 on the season when falling behind 1-0. The Spartans were able to claim one of the doubles matches. Senior Marina Bohrer and Freshman Erin Faulkner, ranked No. 62, defeated No. 52 Mara Schmidt and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum, 8-6. Bohrer and Faulkner have won their last five matches in a row. They are 16-4 during spring dual play and are 7-3 in conference play.
In singles, MSU won two of the six matches behind Bohrer and Faulkner. Faulkner won in two sets over Bernard-Feigenbaum on court two, 7-6(5), 6-1. The win pushed her dual record up to 14-8 and evened up her conference record at 5-5. Bohrer, ranked No. 112, took down Schmidt in three sets on court one. She lost the first set, 3-6, but rallied to win the next two, 6-3, 6-4.
Dating back to April 5 against Illinois, Bohrer has won a total of 10 consecutive matches. She has gone 5-0 in singles during that span and 5-0 in doubles. Her overall record for the season is 21-7, spring dual record is 19-4, and Big Ten record is 7-3.
The Spartans wraps up their regular-season tomorrow morning in Bloomington, Ind., as they face off with No. 48 Indiana. Play will begin at 11 a.m.
1) #62 Bohrer/Faulkner (MSU) def. #52 Schmidt/Bernard-Feigenbaum (PU) 8-6
2) Kapitany/Davila (PU) def. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) 8-5
3) Robinson/Escribens (PU) def. Parenteau/Trouillot (MSU) 8-4
1) #112 Bohrer (MSU) def. Schmidt (PU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2) Faulkner (MSU) def. Bernard-Feigenbaum (PU) 7-6(5), 6-1
3) Robinson (PU) def. Parenteau (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
4) Kapitany (PU) def. Meyers (MSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
5) Djokovic (PU) def. Chernova (MSU) 7-6(3), 6-7(5), 1-0(10-5)
6) Escribens (PU) def. Trouillot (MSU) 6-0, 6-2