Women's Tennis Topped by Ohio State
OSU 6, MSU 1
April 20, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Michigan State women's tennis team (8-13, 0-10 Big Ten) was edged, 6-1, by No. 62 Ohio State, today (April 20) at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Courts. Sophomore Marina Bohrer recorded the Spartans lone point when she defeated Kara Cecil on court two, 6-2, 6-1.
The Spartans began the match by dropping the doubles point. Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steel defeated Bohrer and redshirt junior Dana Guentert, 8-1, at the No. 2 spot. On court one, juniors Nicole Herzog and Michaela Silesova fell to Kara Cecil and Kelsey Dieters, 8-3. Kelsey Haviland and Noelle Malley notched an 8-4 victory over freshman Julianne Gruber and sophomore Katarina Lingl.
Manashirova put the Buckeyes up 2-0 after blanking Herzog, 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 3 singles spot. Bohrer then pulled the Spartans within one point of OSU but then Ohio State recorded four-straight singles victories to win the match.
The Spartans held their own in the remaining singles matches. After falling 6-0 in her first set to Dittmer, Gruber lost her second by a tight score of 7-5. On court four, Silesova edged Dieters 7-6 (7-4) in the first set. Dieters came back in the second and won 6-0, before eventually taking the tiebreaker 10-6. Sophomore Olga Chernova fell in her first set, 6-4, before defeating Haviland, 6-3 in the second. She then lost the tiebreaker 10-6.
The Spartans return back to East Lansing for their last home match of the season on Sunday against Penn State. MSU will honor senior Dana Guentert.
#62 Ohio State 6, Michigan State 1
1. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
2. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-7 (7-4) 6-0, 10-6
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Tiffany Dittmer (OSU) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU) 6-0, 7-5
1. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-3
2. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Marina Bohrer/Dana Guentert (MSU) 8-1
3. Kelsey Haviland/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Julianne Gruber/Katarina Lingl (MSU) 8-4
Michigan State 8-13 (0-10 Big Ten)
Ohio State 9-14 (4-6 Big Ten); National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,6,5,4,1)