No. 67 Women's Tennis Defeated by No. 48 Indiana, 6-1
Spartans wrap up regular season.
April 20, 2014
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The No. 67 Michigan State women's tennis team ended its regular season on Sunday afternoon with a loss. MSU (17-8, 5-6 Big Ten) could not overcome No. 48 Indiana and lost, 6-1, at the IU Varsity Tennis Courts in Bloomington, Ind.
The Spartans have dropped their last three matches in a row.
MSU fell behind early 1-0 by not winning the doubles point. It was the eighth time this season MSU has not won the doubles point and the Spartans are 2-6 when doing so. MSU did earn a doubles victory from junior Catherine Parenteau and freshman Athena Trouillot on court three. Parenteau and Trouillot played from behind most of the match, but continued to fight and came back to win in a tiebreaker, 8-7(1), over Alecia Kauss and Kayla Fujimoto.
In singles, MSU claimed one of the six matches. Trouillot finished the day 2-0 as she picked up the lone singles win on the day for the Spartans. She defeated Gabrielle Rubenstein on court six, 6-2, 6-2. Trouillot won her 17th match of the spring and improved her Big Ten record to 6-5.
Next up for the Spartans is the Big Ten Tournament, which will be hosted by Northwestern in Evanston, Ill., on April 24-27.
1) Chupa/Klyczek (IU) def. #62 Bohrer/Faulkner (MSU) 8-7(4)
2) Garre/Murdy (IU) def. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) 8-2
3) Parenteau/Trouillot (MSU) def. Kauss/Fujimoto (IU) 8-7(1)
1) Klyczek (IU) def. #112 Bohrer (MSU) 0-6, 6-3, 1-0(10-7)
2) Garre (IU) def. Faulkner (MSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
3) Kauss (IU) def. Parenteau (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
4) Murdy (IU) def. Meyers (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
5) Gutierrez (IU) def. Chernova (MSU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0(10-4)
6) Trouillot (MSU) def. Rubenstein (IU) 6-2, 6-2