WTen Falls to Purdue at Big Ten Tournament
Purdue 5, MSU 0
April 26, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Michigan State women's tennis team closed out their season on Thursday, April 26 at the Big Ten Championships at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Courts, hosted by the Buckeyes. Entering the tournament as the No. 12 seed, the Spartans fell, 5-0, to No. 5 Purdue in the first round.
The Spartans looked to take an early lead in doubles play, but couldn't seem to get things going against the No. 30 nationally ranked Boilermakers. MSU dropping two of its matches in doubles, with the third one being called immediately after Purdue clinched the point.
On court three, Katarina Lingl and Julianne Gruber fell to Gisella Pere and Imogen Golder, 8-4. Nicole Herzog and Michaela Silesova also saw a loss on court one, dropping by a score of 8-6 to Purdue's Jennifer rabot and Mara Schmidt. The match on court three of Marina Bohrer and Dana Guentert against Lynda Xepoleas and Daniele Vidal were locked at six all before the match was called.
Singles play also saw an early exit. Olga Chernova fell to Rabot, 6-0, 6-1 in the number one singles spot. On court three, Herzog dropped to Schmidt, 6-2, 6-1. Despite a close first set, Lingl couldn't hold on in the second and lost to Golder, 6-4, 6-1.
Silesova matched up against Vidal on court four and was down 3-2 before the match was called once the Boilermakers had pulled off the victory.
Matches on courts two and six were not played due to an early decision.
Match Results (OSU Varsity Indoor Tennis Center) #30 Purdue 5, Michigan State 0
1. Jennifer Rabot (PURDUE) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Marina Bohrer (MSU) vs. Lynda Xepoleas (PURDUE) no result
3. Mara Schmidt (PURDUE) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Daniele Vidal (PURDUE) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 3-2
5. Imogen Golder (PURDUE) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) vs. Gisella Pere (PURDUE) no result
1. Jennifer Rabot/Mara Schmidt (PURDUE) def. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-6
2. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniele Vidal (PURDUE) vs. Marina Bohrer/Dana Guentert (MSU) 6-6, unfinished
3. Gisella Pere/Imogen Golder (PURDUE) def. Katarina Lingl/Julianne Gruber (MSU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,3)
Big Ten Tournament First Round
Singles order on court: 3,5,1,4,6,2