March 31, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - In its first conference road match of the season, the Michigan State women's tennis team (8-7, 0-4 Big Ten) was defeated by No. 41 Indiana, 6-1. Redshirt junior Dana Guentert picked up her sixth-straight singles win on court number six against the Hoosiers to earn the Spartans' lone point of the match. Guentert is now 7-2 in singles play.
After winning her first set 6-4, Guentert was dropped by opponent Kayla Fujimoto, 6-2. She was then able to top Fujimoto in the tiebreaker, 10-8, to capture the victory.
At the No. 3 position, sophomore Marina Borher was topped by Katie Klyczek, 6-4 in the first set. She evened up the score in the second set, but eventually fell 7-5. At the No. 1 spot, sophomore Olga Chernova fell to No. 99 Leslie Hureau, 6-1, 6-3. Junior Nicole Herzog was blanked by Evgeniya Vertesheva on court two, 6-0, 6-0.
The Spartans were swept in all three doubles matches against the Hoosiers. Herzog and Lingl were dropped by Klyczek and Sophie Garre at the No. 1 spot, 8-4. Fujimoto and Vertesheva defeated Bohrer and Silesova also by a score of 8-4. Falling in only their second doubles match of the season, Guentert and freshman Julianne Gruber were topped by Kauss and Shannon Murdy, 8-3.
The Spartans travel to face Purdue tomorrow at noon.
#41 Indiana 6, Michigan State 1
1. Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Kayla Fujimoto (IND) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Katie Klyczek/Sophie Garre (IND) def. Nicole Herzog/Katarina Lingl (MSU) 8-4
2. Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva(IND) def. Marina Bohrer/Michaela Silesova(MSU)8-4
3. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Julianne Gruber/Dana Guentert (MSU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,5,4,6,3)