Dec. 7, 2013
Final Score: Michigan State 3, Ohio 0
Team Records and Notes:
· Michigan State improves to 22-11, while Ohio closes the season 27-6.
· MSU advances to the Lexington Sub-Regional final on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. ET against top-seeded Kentucky, which swept Duquesne.
· Michigan State is 18-5 this season when winning the first set, and now 17-0 when winning the first two sets.
· This was the first time all season that Ohio was swept in a match.
· Michigan State now leads the all-time series with Ohio, 3-0.
· Ohio took a four-point lead of 11-7, before the Spartans responded with a 4-0 run to force an OU timeout at 11-11.
· Michigan State forced an Ohio timeout at 19-15 as MSU won 10 of 15 points to take its largest lead of the set at 20-15.
· The Bobcats responded with a quick 4-0 run to force a Michigan State timeout at 20-19.
· Michigan State closed the set by winning the last three points to take the opening set, 25-21.
· Honorable mention All-Big Ten middle blocker Alexis Mathews led the Spartans with five kills and two blocks.
· The Bobcats' Katie Horton had a team-high five blocks.
· Michigan State started the second set strong, scoring seven of the first 11 points to race out to a 7-4 lead to start the second frame.
· MSU expanded its lead to a set-high six points at 10-4
· Ohio cut the Spartans' lead to as little as two points at 16-14, forcing a Michigan State timeout as the Bobcats were on a 5-2 run.
· Facing set points at 24-19, the Bobcats rallied to win four in a row to make the score 24-22 before an Alexis Mathews kill ended the run and gave Michigan State the 25-22 win.
· MSU's Kori Moster led all players with five digs in each of the first two sets.
· Lauren Wicinski of Michigan State led all players with six kills.
· Through the first 35 points of the set, neither team had more than a two-point lead, until Michigan State broke through at 19-16 to gain a three-point advantage.
· Michigan State closed the set on a 6-3 run to clinch the match in straight sets, 25-19.
· The Spartans hit .314 in the set, while limiting Ohio to just .278
· Lauren Wicinski (MSU) led all players in the match with 16 kills. She hit .371, had nine digs and added two blocks. Her 16 kills moved her into 13th place all-time in the NCAA record book with 2,392 in her career.
· Alexis Matthews (MSU) hit .471 in the match, collecting five block assists and 10 kills.became MSU's career leader in block assists, as her five in the match gives her 557; her 618 career blocks ranks second at MSU and 12th in Big Ten history.
· Kori Moster (MSU) recorded a match-high 15 digs.
· Kelsey Kuipers had three solo blocks, her career best.
· Abby Gilleland (OU) who was the 2013 Mid-American Conference Player of the Year, had a match-high 35 assists and eight digs.
· Katie Horton (OU) was one of two Ohio Bobcats in double-figures for attacks, as Horton tallied 12 kills alongside eight digs
· Meredith Ashy (OU) led Ohio with 11 digs.