Standing at the entrance way to Michigan State's athletic establishment is "The Spartan," a huge statue which symbolizes the university's athletic teams.
"The Spartan" was designed and produced by Leonard D. Jungwirth of the art department, and dedicated in June of 1945. It stands ten feet-six inches, and is mounted on a brick-and-concrete base five feet-four inches high. The statue weighs three tons and is one of the largest free standing ceramic figures in the world.
Figures representing the 12 sports then included in the varsity program are incised on the base of the statue.
Popularly known as "Sparty," the statue is one of the favorite photo subjects of visitors to the campus.